Tuesday 11 September 2012

WHAT RESTAURANT ARE YOU EATING AT?


There is a young lady that my lady and I know. We'll call her Maggie. My lady was telling her how I look after her by helping with cooking, cleaning etc and I bring her coffee in bed. Maggie was very envious and wished her boyfriend was more like me. She said that I was a nice guy and that's what nice guys do. I tried to give her an analogy about how I view my relationship. I said that I have eaten in some restaurants that had crappy food and now I have a limited edition dish that I enjoy very much and don't want to eat crappy food again. She didn't quite get it, but my lady enjoyed being called a limited edition dish. Once I thought about it, it is like the following;
Imagine you live in a small town and there is only one restaurant. If you want to go out for dinner, you have to go there. The problem is that every time you go there, the food is horrible, it's either cold, bland, or the wrong order, but it's the only option you have so you put up with it.
Then one day, you go in at a time and day different to when you normally go. The atmosphere is completely different to when you normally go in. As you sit down and read the menu, you notice a dish you've never heard of on the menu. You decide to give it a try. When your meal arrives, the food is cooked wonderfully, it tastes great, it's not too hot and it melts in your mouth. You ask the waiter, why they don't normally serve that dish. He informs you that they do, it is just on certain days and you have to meet certain criteria to be eligible. You then make a decision that you are going to always meet those criteria, and go down there on the certain days, because you want more of that great food.
So it is with relationships. We have to meet certain criteria, and we have to be aware that the dish is even there. I know that I have eaten at delicatessens, roadside diners, bistros and even a few roadside vendors. I have now sampled a restaurant menu, and I know I want more of it and will never settle for anything else ever again. My lady is a lovely dish that really gets my taste buds going. I know that sounds weird but it's true. I'm able to be me, to be loved and loving, to be encourages and supported as well as held accountable. It is truly wonderful. The sad thing is that before I met my lady, I thought relationships had to be like dining at bistros and roadside vendors. They don't! I want to be a diner who deserves to be served a great dish and I look forward to fine dining for many years. You now have to ask yourself 'What restaurant are you eating at?'
Wayne Brown is a facilitator and promoter for life change. Contact him at
or listen to his podcasts at www.the7bigquestions.podomatic.com


No comments:

Post a Comment