Sunday 29 July 2012

Where do we get this from


Sun 29/07/2012
I was watching a TV show last night, the American version of The Voice. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it is a show about singing where the people have a history of trying to crack the music industry and haven't quite managed, so this format gives them another chance. It is set up where the judges have their backs to the performers and if they like them based solely off their voice, they pick them by hitting a button and their chairs turn around so they can view their choice and watch the rest of the performance. The show I was watching was like a semi-final where they have a sing-off between two singers, where they do a duet on a song. There were these two lads, both with very good voices and they are filming them doing their training and rehearsals. They film them talking about how their feeling and these two lads, both with very good voices are both saying 'He's a really good singer... I'm going to have to raise my performance... he's better than me...' As I watched this I realised how we all play down our talent, our abilities, our gifts, and I realised how daft that is.
If we have a particular gift, we should be encouraged to share it with the world, especially if it has the potential to make the world a better place. As children we are encouraged to help others, encourage others, strive to emulate others, instead of finding our gift and really making it as big and wonderful as possible.
When I was a quite a few years younger, I used to always joke with a line similar to 'How good am I?' People would then say things that were designed to make me not big-note myself. I used to use it like I had a sense of confidence, but I was lacking in that department. I'm a heap better now.  Anyway, if we don't say it about ourselves, who will. Not many people give out compliments, but many people are willing to tear you down, and that's sad. It's only in the last few years that I've started to realise I have a definite gift that I should share with the world, and that is what I am trying to do, regardless of how much it terrifies me, being out there for others to judge and ridicule, if that's what they choose to do. I feel a lot freer and my confidence is building. As I get further along, I'll make sure my comfort zone is pushed out as I want to see how far I can take this. I encourage you to do the same. We all have a gift, we should find, nurture it, grow it and get it out into the world and be the magnificent, fabulous, talented, but still humble and grateful people we were born to be. Be stupendous, it's your choice.
Wayne Brown is a facilitator for life change. Contact him at
or listen to his podcasts at www.the7bigquestions.podomatic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment