Monday 13 August 2012


COMFORT ZONE              
A few years ago, I met a lady that has allowed me to re-discover myself as I had buried my dreams and myself under a lot of garbage. It was a little scary, re-discovering my emotions, my dreams, my wants and needs. As men, we aren't really taught how to handle our emotions, how to decipher them and feel the subtle nuances within each of the basic emotions of anger, fear, shame, happiness and sadness. I know for myself that a few were definitely cut off and I hadn't felt the emotions, let alone the subtle variations for a long time. As I started to become open to them I felt a little uncomfortable and had to really stretch myself to know what they were at first. As I explored them and found out more about them, I became comfortable.
As I was doing all this discovery work internally, my external world was stretching into areas that were uncomfortable. I moved from comfortable suburbia in a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom house on a little block to renting a 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom house on 50 acres, surrounded by horses with a slightly more than doubling of rent. More financial pressure, more responsibility pressure, and on top of that I changed jobs a couple of times to find something that fitted in with my journey. To say I was a little tense was a bit of an understatement. After a few months I became comfortable with the situation and was a little less tense. Since then, I've been slowly pushing the boundaries outward and getting more and more comfortable. The funny thing is that as you push the boundaries, you realise that you aren't going to die and life goes on, before you know it your life is nothing like it used to be.
This is where most people struggle, they decide to get fitter, lose weight, save money, whatever they choose to change, they make these massive plans and after a few weeks fall flat. The key to change though is that people only change when the pain of change is less than the pain of staying the same. This means for example that they generally have to have a divorce, a major health scare, a redundancy etc before they address the areas of their life that need improvement.There are many things going on behind the scenes that affect this but it all comes down to small steps planned a little way into the future. I'll use losing weight as an example, as most people seem to struggle with this.
If people started with a small incremental change in a number of areas, it would be far less overwhelming and more likely to work. This is based on the idea that any habit becomes permanent after 30 days. If you said, 'for the first week I'm going to eat one less donut, one more apple every second day, I'm going to walk 200 metres every second day and read one chapter of a reputable eating plan each night', then that is a series of small achievable steps. As they become easier, and a habit, add to the different areas until after 6 months, you aren't eating donuts, except occasionally, you're eating more fruit and vegetables, you're walking 5 kilometres per day and reading a book a week on increasing your health and fitness. It should never be massive steps but small steps. A god analogy is if you are driving at night, a great distance, you can only see as far as your headlights reach. That is all you need to do, is see as far as your headlights reach, move into that lit area, then you see further and before you know it, you've driven across the country. It's what I'm doing and seems to be working great. Get your plan, chunk it down, and just regularly apply yourself. Make it a series of small choices and you'll be fine, because after all, it is just small choices. Your choices, so what do you choose?
Wayne Brown is a facilitator for life change. Contact him at
or listen to his podcasts at www.the7bigquestions.podomatic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment